PDA

View Full Version : Flashbacks

Crows_Kill
Sat, 04-30-2005, 05:45 AM
Saying you don't like the flashbacks in Naruto is like saying you don't like lightsabers in star wars, or all the robots in the gundam shows. It's part of the naruto bible. Their will always be flashbacks, in the manga, in the anime, in the movies, and even in the fillers.

Flashbacks are used, some would ay over used, to stress the emotional impact of a particular scene and to reinforce why a character ended up in that situation and what it means to them. Flashbacks are a legitimate literary tool for adding depth and backstory to a character that otherwise might not have been possible to relate in the normal narrative context of the particular plot line the author is trying to develope. They act as braking points to slow a story down and to build tension over a cliffhanger moment.

In naruto, they have become part of the show, just as much as ninjitsu, demons, and kunias. It wouldnt be naruto without the flashbacks.

That having been said- who really hates them? Who likes them? Who thinks the show would be better off without them or would be crippled instead?

My personal opinion is they work better in the manga than the anime. They try too hard and too obviously to pad out the anime episodes with exsesive flashback sequences, sometimes to events that just happened in the same freaking episode. The should follow the usage in the manga, only using them to emphasize key moments or to add elements to a characters past that have a direct bearing on the story and situation in that episode.

See? I just had a flashback to the same example I just gave in the above statements. Anoying, isnt it?

Turkish-S
Sat, 04-30-2005, 06:23 AM
love?? no it's not love.
hate?? no it's not hate.
it's just like you said: naruto without flashback's is just like gundam without robot's.
they don't bother but i like episode's without flashbacks more.

2:25
Sun, 05-01-2005, 07:59 PM
The flashbacks in the anime bother me because they're so long...and yes, it was better in the manga.

kAi
Sun, 05-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Flashbacks are needed, if they're not there, we wont know important things.

LobsterMagnet
Sun, 05-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Flash backs in the manga suck. Dammit I only get 19 pages of naruto goodness a week and I want each and every frame to be it's own unique piece that advances the story. I love the flashbacks in general but I hate reading them in the manga. Grrrrrr damn you kishimoto write more then 19 pages a week.

Sam98034
Mon, 05-02-2005, 01:36 AM
Did we really need to make a topic about this? I mean, all of us "non-dipshits" know that they're necessary. The rest of the dipshits will complain about every flashback in every episode discussion thread no matter how many of these topics we make.

and when the hell did demons become part of the show? Unless your counting Kyuubi, which isn't really a demon per say.