PDA

View Full Version : Myths and legends involving Kitsune

GhostKaGe
Sun, 04-24-2005, 12:35 AM
Just a site i found interesting when i was in random search mode Kitsune Lore (http://www.comnet.ca/~foxtrot/kitsune/kitsune1.htm) it contains various myths and legends surrounding Kitsune. I found this site quit interesting just thought id share

Assertn
Sun, 04-24-2005, 03:55 AM
what's a kitsune?

SK
Sun, 04-24-2005, 07:24 AM
been posted before im pretty sure...

Terracosmo
Sun, 04-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Kitsune = fox.

ChaosK
Sun, 04-24-2005, 02:26 PM
so we're looking at legends of a fox? i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

PSJ
Mon, 04-25-2005, 12:09 PM
pretty much the fox is appearntly some mythical creature in japan along with the tanuki which is a racoon i think.

Psyke
Mon, 04-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Most common story about foxes in Chinese mythology is that demon foxes take up the form of a beautiful woman to seduce and kill men. But they cannot hide their tail so in order to reveal their true form you need to find their tail, which is usually well hidden and can only be found when they are in bed with the men, which is by then already too late : )

samsonlonghair
Tue, 04-26-2005, 12:49 AM
I love Shinto mythology. It's fascinating where the lines between Humans, gods, spirits, and beasts begins to blur.

I've talked about this a number of times on GW, but I'm an egotist who loves to hear himself talk. If anyone wants to know more about this, just ask. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions I can on mythology of any type.
As far as the Kitsune myth relates to naruto, Foxes are not born as Kyuubi. They must live a long life and go through multiple changes before reaching the level of Kyuubi. After living one thousand years, the Kitsune can finally ascend to the level of celestial nine-tailed fox, but if those thousand years are spent in anger or hatred the kyuubi will attack humans like a plague on the land. It's also worth noting that fox's can take a woman's form or posses a woman. A lot of naruto fans use this as a possible reason why we've never heard of Naruto's mother.

lilphatboi88
Wed, 04-27-2005, 02:54 AM
Hmm, good theory about his mother

MisterBigs
Fri, 04-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Samsonlonghair, are you saying that the 4th sealed naruto's mother in him?

Jurojin
Fri, 04-29-2005, 02:28 PM
It all makes so much sense now! See, the Fouth and Kyuubi had this thing going, nobody knowing she was what she was. Well, the Fourth got too many idea from Jiraiya and started looking at younger women in a perverted way, and Kyuubi had a fit, finding this out just as Naruto was born. She went all evil and demony, the Fourth acted the hero and sealed Narutos Mom into Naruto, meaning to get his mack on with the other female ninjas, being the Hero of the Village. However, he forgot, in his desire to get some, that the sealing process would kill him too, which is why he did that instead of offering roses and chocolates to calm Kyuubi down.

SEE?!?!?!?

darkshadow
Sun, 05-01-2005, 01:48 PM
OR this is y naruto came up with the sexy no jutsu i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Rhanfahl
Tue, 05-24-2005, 03:27 AM
Kitsune (foxes) and Tanuki (raccoon) are among a number of animals in Chinese and Japanese lore that can be found in demonic form. Also among them are dogs, cats,etc
And then there's the cute kappa (water nymph) which is some sort of odd duck/turtle thing,they're odd. Generally both Kitsune and Tanuki are thought of as bad luck and mischevious, and cats are generally good luck....why? I have no fucking clue, why did ancient people worship gold idols, and modern day people worship even wackier shit like heads of lettuce? I simply don't have those answers. Actually, even though some of it is totally different, Inuyasha has a lot of very accurate legends on various demon legends.

Sariachan
Sun, 06-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Tanuki are not racoons, but racoon dogs which are completely different animals.
Tanuki look like foxes, but less slender and with a darker fur and a more round head, and they both belong to the same family in zoology (sp?).

American Hero
Sun, 06-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by: Jurojin
It all makes so much sense now! See, the Fouth and Kyuubi had this thing going, nobody knowing she was what she was. Well, the Fourth got too many idea from Jiraiya and started looking at younger women in a perverted way, and Kyuubi had a fit, finding this out just as Naruto was born. She went all evil and demony, the Fourth acted the hero and sealed Narutos Mom into Naruto, meaning to get his mack on with the other female ninjas, being the Hero of the Village. However, he forgot, in his desire to get some, that the sealing process would kill him too, which is why he did that instead of offering roses and chocolates to calm Kyuubi down.

SEE?!?!?!?

Way to ruin a good thread.

I know very little about the mythology surrounding the Kyuubi. Thanks for clearing a few things up, samsonlonghair. I had no idea there were different "levels" among the Kitsune myth.

NineTailsKitsu
Wed, 06-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by: Sariachan
Tanuki are not racoons, but racoon dogs which are completely different animals.
Tanuki look like foxes, but less slender and with a darker fur and a more round head, and they both belong to the same family in zoology (sp?).

Exactly. BTW, for future knowledge: Kitsu=Fox Ne=affectionate term, meaning Kitsune is an affectionate term for a fox.

XanBcoo
Wed, 06-22-2005, 03:43 PM
does anyone know (sorry in advance for asking) if the japanese name of the pokemon "ninetails" was kyubi or not?

I was just reminiscing about my hyperactive-pokemon-loving-preteen days and that just suddenly occurred to me.
Though I wasn't really hyperactive ;p

Death BOO Z
Wed, 06-22-2005, 04:01 PM
well, according to this site (http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0862591.html) , the japanese name is Kyukon.
which might mean 9-something, for better information you should ask someone who can read the original kanji

pegasussaint
Thu, 07-14-2005, 01:11 AM
I found this on another forum that could explain a lot about Naruto

ok, i just saw this on a chinese forum and it contains the legend of the "tailed" beasts, as in one tail (shukaku)...up to nine tail (kyubi). However..i can translate all the info into english..coz I'm not sure of some of the names. So if anyone can speak japanese, please tell me and I will correct the names (the question marks represent the names unknown to me).

ONE TAILS SHUKAKU
This guy lives in the desert of Nara, because affected by the Eight tail's magical powers and under the wind and sand..he transforms into a racoon (to what he is now). He is playful and lives on the souls of the people killed by the wind and sand. The tatoos on his body show that he is the god of wind. He was defeated by Oraga Nakashimu, a monk in nara.

TWO TAILS ????
This monster lives in the forest of death (ooo..good names eh?) in hokaido. He looks like a black cat demon with black wings and his master is the death god. He feeds on the dead people's spirits and can summon these spirits to fight for them. The third eye at the top of its head is used to consume the spirit. He was nearly killed once by Kyubi. but Shinigami(the death god) manages to save him just in time. This is the god of darkness.

THREE TAILS ???
This monster has a sharp horn at his forehead and his body in in the shape of a shark. Every few months, he comes up to the surface of the sea from the deep waters to get some fresh air. However, each time he does this, there will be storms and all the ships become his food. He gets his power from his subordinate Samehada, _, (ooo..BIG RESEMBLANCE HERE). Samehada gets food from this monster's stomach and creates a large amount of power which is given to the three tails. This is done because Samehada can create 5 times more power than the three tails. The three tails is the god of water.

FOUR TAILS ???
He lives near Mount Fuji and because of the toxic gases and volcanic ash, he transforms into a half chicken and half snake monster. Everything around him will die because of his poison. According to the legend, whenever he hibernates at Fuji, his snoring will cause the volcano to erupt. Luckily, Yamazaki Ishiro, a master of demon arts, manages to seal him. The four tails is the god of poison.

FIVE TAILS ???
Each tail of this dog-like monster represents one element (Earth Wind Water Fire Metal) and he can cause catastrophic damage when using these elements. He will also destroy nature to obtain power of these five elements. The five tails was once badly injured by the Kyubi when he and the two tails challenged Kyubi. This monster is the god of illusions (gen that is, as in genjustsu)

SIX TAILS ???
This was the god of thunder but was changed into a beast by the Eight tails power. The six tails can release a tremendous amount of electricity to help him in battle.
The person who killed the six tails is Sarutobi (sandaime? should be). However, the interesting thing is, Sarutobi used a move known as Kinjustsu Raikiri (>_>, yes I know, thats kakashis unique move, maybe the creator changed a bit) to cut through the lightning released by the six tails. Hence the name lightning edge.
PERSONAL OPINION ABOUT THIS
IMO, Kakashi is way too weak to kill a tailed beast, so probably his one is an altered version of the person who really killed the six tails, since its not a kinjutsu.

SEVEN TAILS ????
The seven tails is the most cunning beast but the smallest out of them all. For most of the time, he is underground searching for prey. The way he kills is destroying the piece of the land under his target causing his target to fall and directly going into his mouth. Whenever he appears above he will transform into all types of creatures, but he is unable to transform in a place without clay. The seven tails is the god of earth.

EIGHT TAILS ???
This monster has eight heads and eight tails and has the power of the demon world, a symbol of evil. Each head represents one thing and they are Soul, Ghost, Evil, Devil, Monstrous, Kill, The Afterworld and Death. Initially, his powers are weak, but, because members of the Kusanagi family act without precaution, they used the legendary Kusanagi No Tsurugi, I,(thats right, the sword Orochimaru uses). As a result, the eight tails takes the sword from them and absorbs its power to become a very powerful creature, as well as storing it in his body. With this new power, he releases a large amount of dark power and awakens the other tailed beasts and becomes arrogant. He defeats lots of tailed beasts, but when he encounters the Kyubi, he is defeated. This is because the Kyubi has an unlimited amount of power and even makes a hole in the Kusanagi sword. This shows just how powerful the nine tails is as he is the king of the tailed beasts and not even Sarutobi and Enma could scratch that sword.
The eight tails awaits a genius of the Yagami family, who is the arch enemy of the Kusangi family, to awaken him and fight the Kyubi again.
This monster obviously resembles Orochimaru and this genius he waits could be Sasuke (even though the names are different). This is because, Sasuke is in fact a genius and Orochimaru is weakened now. Only Sasukes eyes can help him regain strength.

NINE TAILS KYUBI
This is the king of all tailed beasts and the reason he is so powerful is because he has an unlimited amount of power. This power is generated by his fire seal and as a result, after 100 years of battle with the eight tails, eight tails is exhausted but the Kyubi is still able to fight. Kyubi is also very smart and searches for the person who awakened him as well as the shinobi who sealed him. However, the eight tails did not tell Kyubi that it was him who awakened the nine tails.
Now, since Kyubi is the only thing which can kill the Eight tails, this suggests why only Naruto can rescue Sasuke.

Original thread is here http://downloadanime.org/forum...dex.php?showtopic=3342 (http://downloadanime.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3342)

Death BOO Z
Thu, 07-14-2005, 02:30 AM
well, it seems pretty legit, for all I can tell, which isn't much, except for the yamata no orchi, whom i know from diffrent games and animes.

from the others, who do you think Zetsu and the others will take?

naruto-kira
Thu, 07-14-2005, 03:01 AM
wow this is very interesting, and there was another thread i said nine tail is the strongest out of the 8 other demons because it has 9 tails, and there was this person that dont believe me, but after he read this, he'll know 9 tails is the strongest...

pegasussaint
Thu, 07-14-2005, 02:11 PM
Zetsu i believe would be be seven tail (god of earth), I think Deidara would get one tail (tho Sasori might get it because he is from Suna but i think two tails fits him better). Itachi is a tough one without knowing the abilities of the others. I think Itachi will get Five tails (Illusion god) or Nine tails

**Edit
I forgot the obvious one which is Kisame getting three tails because he has Samehada and he uses primarily water jutsu

XanBcoo
Thu, 07-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Was all that from actual mythology??
That's really cool. It shows that kishimoto did his homework.

I haven't read all of the manga yet, but it seems that Akatsuki is after these tailed demons (??)
Do they all exist in the naruto universe, or have any been mentioned??