PDA

View Full Version : One Piece American Version

LobsterMagnet
Sat, 04-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Wow I'm really having a hard time understanding One Pieces appeal. It just seems like a really crappy show but all i've seen is the American version and I'm guessing that it's been horribly butchered from it's original japanses release. I'm just curious to hear what your opinions are about the American version and how much it has been changed vs. the japanese original. Also does Luffy have anything else going for him besides being made of rubber?

DeluxSkillz
Sun, 04-24-2005, 03:52 AM
please go download the japanese version it's a 1000 times better then that crappy american version will ever be, it's probably one of the most butchered animes out there and that's not what it deserves, One Piece belongs on top with the greats like Naruto etc, but the americans had to make a crappy kiddy friendly version which just sucks

Masamune
Sun, 04-24-2005, 05:39 AM
american one piece is the worst thing ever since celine dion

Terracosmo
Sun, 04-24-2005, 06:03 AM
Generally I think that people exaggerate when talking about butchered shows but when it comes to One Piece it's actually all true. The american version is NOTHING like the japanese one. Go to kaizoku-fansubs.com and get started on it and forget that you ever saw the dub.

Deblas
Sun, 04-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Its produced by 4 kids entertainment. Why!? i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Black ops
Sun, 04-24-2005, 11:58 AM
IDK. I watched it. The translations are totally wierd compared to the Japanese version. I even know some Japanese from watching all this anime and the fansbus seem more correct. The voice actors are OK for their characters such as Luffy. He kinda sounds like the Japanese version but besides that it was pretty bad.

tensai
Sun, 04-24-2005, 02:41 PM
it sucks ass, the american version that is
my little brother was browsing through channels last night and we happened to see it

after several minutes of watching, i decided to put on the fansubbed version to compare them side-by-side
man did they fudge up a lot of the script and also most of the fighting scenes were cut off, how shitty

some of the voice overs were decent, but i really hated luffys, it sounded like crap to me

japanese subbed version is way better

LobsterMagnet
Sun, 04-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Wow it's interesting to hear all of your opinions about how bad the American Version is. Most of the voice acting really does such. I'm just curious are there any other examples that you'd like to point out about how the American version has butchered various scenes from the japanese version.

Also I'm curious Luffy is supposed to be a pirate right? He never seems to do anything remotley close to pirate activity. He never tries to rob or pillage from other ships. All he seems to do is fight other pirates. I could be wrong but does Luffy ever actually engage in any real piracy?

Black ops
Sun, 04-24-2005, 06:48 PM
From where I am in the anime (Ep 10) thats a no. He does fight though..... and thats kinda cool.......

XwingRob
Sun, 04-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Argh the opening song is retarded.
Also, some edits that I noticed pretty easily.

1) In episode 2, they changed the riceballs the little girl gave to Zoro into cookies. What is up with that? (Oh and when Zoro eats it after the badguy totally smushed it, one cookie is still intact)
2) They pronounced Zoro's name, "Zolo". Now, I know that Japanese language has that weird L and R thingy, but Zoro makes more sense when you consider that he is a swordsmaster.
3) Oh yeah, no blood and the fight scenes were slaughted.
4) They edited out "Marines" and put in "Navy".

OMG, I hope there are uncut DVDs...

Terracosmo
Mon, 04-25-2005, 03:08 AM
All cigarettes are edited out too. What the fuck are they gonna call Smoker? Captain Non-Smoker?

XwingRob
Mon, 04-25-2005, 04:33 PM
There gonna call him Captain CottenCandy man. Because all he does all days is eat Cottencandy.

Terracosmo
Mon, 04-25-2005, 04:35 PM
That wouldn't surprise me at all... i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Deblas
Mon, 04-25-2005, 07:22 PM
That's what happens when 4 kids entertainment runs it.

XwingRob
Tue, 04-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Hey, what do you think there gonna do when Nami stabs herself alot?

SamuraiOdin
Tue, 04-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Obviously she's just coloring on herself with a magic marker out of frustration.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 04-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Did luffy eat a devil fruit or did he get a precreption from his doctor to a special medicine?

At least in isreal, we get japanses inuyasha (with subs) on a daily basis, and while there are some annying mistakes, it's basically uncensored and we don't pay VIZ anything....

oh, and changing the marines into 'navy' is the least of one piece's problems, that actually an acute translation.

XwingRob
Wed, 04-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Yeah I know, but I got so used to seeing "Marine" on their sails...

Death BOO Z
Sat, 04-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by: LobsterMagnet

Also I'm curious Luffy is supposed to be a pirate right? He never seems to do anything remotley close to pirate activity. He never tries to rob or pillage from other ships. All he seems to do is fight other pirates. I could be wrong but does Luffy ever actually engage in any real piracy?

well, have you seen Naruto participate in any ninja activity? has he been forging forigen states documents?
and what about Ichigo? can you recall when was the last time he was dealing with soul tranferring?
or Yusuke from YYH, can you name one crime which he solved while being a spirit detective?

the answer is simple, when you sum all the animes down to the core, it's merely a dragon ball Z clone with cooler effects, so why even bother asking?

KaneInferno
Sun, 05-01-2005, 11:28 AM
They replaced the marines rifles with supersoakers. Enough said.

LobsterMagnet
Sun, 05-01-2005, 06:30 PM
lol I noticed that to. All rifles are now pop guns. Really takes alot out of the show to see grown man running around shooting each other with super soakers and pop guns. I'm just wondering in the 4th episode where shanks man knocks the moutain man out with a pop gun in the anime is he actually killed as opposed to simply being knockout out.

Deblas
Sun, 05-01-2005, 07:21 PM
They reffered sake as strong stuff. It actually made me laugh.

Assertn
Sun, 05-01-2005, 07:53 PM
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145

DeluxSkillz
Mon, 05-02-2005, 09:26 AM
lmfao that pic is hilarious

Hellraiser
Mon, 05-02-2005, 11:41 PM
<u>Spoilers</u>

What are they gonna do about the blood Luffy "uses" during the Luffy vs. Crocodile Round 3?

Death BOO Z
Tue, 05-03-2005, 02:12 AM
he just sweats alot, it's not blood.
not to mention they'll most likely ruin the symbolic meanning when he uses the water at round 2, they'll probably call it "magic water from the magical lake!'

Terracosmo
Wed, 05-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Hopefully the show won't reach Crocodile. It has already been slaughtered enough.

Now,

4KIDS ARE FUCKING IDIOTS AND HAVE NO RESPECT FOR AUTHORS &amp; ORIGINAL WORKS.
ALSO THEY ARE FUCKING IDIOTS.
WTF POP GUNS? God I wish I could rape their entire families and then kill them all while the 4kids staff watches, and then "pull a Hinata" on the staff itself. (i.e slash and stomp for life)

Deblas
Sat, 05-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Luffy's voice is so annoying! Its sounds like he is shouting every single time.

DDBen
Mon, 05-09-2005, 02:02 PM
I would say that the One Piece dub couldn't get any more inaccurate if they acidently showed sailormoon in its place. This is the single worst dubbing job of all time. Heck Zoro's name is even carved into a knife in one of the movies and its ALWAYS pronounced Zoro there is no excuse for making it Zolo. I can't even get into everything they killed in this series.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 05-11-2005, 04:10 AM
there is no excuse for making it Zolo

Its possible its a copywrite issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the name Zoro was copywrited somehow here in the U.S.

DDBen
Wed, 05-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by: DarthEnder

there is no excuse for making it Zolo

Its possible its a copywrite issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the name Zoro was copywrited somehow here in the U.S.

Its impossible to copywrite a name. If I want to name my kid Donald trump then he can't do anything about it all that does is make me look like a idiot. As far as Zoro goes he is not similar enough to the other character with his name that it could be a copyright infringement and the character has been around long enough where the name is easily public domain. We are talking about a 3 sword wielding character vs a random latino who goes around making Z's in everything.

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 05-23-2005, 10:55 PM
I was also wondering in one piece how many episodes are there so far? All of the dicussion's focus on the 130-140's but I though one piece had 200+ episodes?

Deblas
Mon, 05-23-2005, 11:03 PM
e

I was also wondering in one piece how many episodes are there so far? All of the dicussion's focus on the 130-140's but I though one piece had 200+ episodes?

Yea there is. If you go to torrent spy, they have up to episode 228 subbed. Probably low quality subs though.

Masamune
Tue, 05-24-2005, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by: Death BOO Z

not to mention they'll most likely ruin the symbolic meanning when he uses the water at round 2, they'll probably call it "magic water from the magical lake!'

actually I think thats what luffy would have called it i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Deblas
Tue, 05-24-2005, 07:17 PM
Something else that has changed with the american version. Sanji's never ending cigarrettes are now lollipops.

Hellraiser
Thu, 05-26-2005, 07:17 PM
They cut out everything that happened after big karate guy of Arlong's gang knocked Gin out to the part where Nami gets back to the village... I'm also not sure if this was their doing as well, but they also gave big karate guy a sword.

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 06-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Another quick question. I was always wondering how popular is One Piece in japan? Has it ever reached critical mass like Naruto or Dragon Ball Z? Or has it just kept on going by enjoying moderate success through a devoted fan base?

Masamune
Tue, 06-14-2005, 04:42 AM
Another quick question. I was always wondering how popular is One Piece in japan? Has it ever reached critical mass like Naruto or Dragon Ball Z? Or has it just kept on going by enjoying moderate success through a devoted fan base?

its one of the biggest animes in japan. Bigger then naruto. to answer your question.

hollowtek
Mon, 06-20-2005, 10:07 PM
it sux nuts+2

GhostKaGe
Thu, 06-23-2005, 06:21 PM
i watched the first episode of the ub and i'll never watch another

MrTicTac
Fri, 07-08-2005, 12:35 AM
i really dont get wat dubbing companies are thinking,, they all need some balls, feels like they dont even care about their jobs

theyre prolly low-funded with good actors etc, but damn get disney or something to hook up with them and have some good va's and advertising,, theyd make sooo much money if they risk trying it out

no doubt US cartoons are dead,, simpsons was great but its just about done, and disney only makes those pixar crap animations, which overall are crappy as hell,, but they pump in soo much advertising and hire good actors,, that kids dont care and love it

DarthEnderX
Sat, 07-09-2005, 12:52 AM
Its impossible to copywrite a name. If I want to name my kid Donald trump then he can't do anything about it all that does is make me look like a idiot.

Yes, but your kid isn't a character on a show. You most definatly can copywrite names for the purposes of fictional characters.

For instance, you could run into problems if you made a cartoon and made a character named Gandalf as one of your main characters.

The same situation could be true with Zoro.

Autophage
Tue, 07-12-2005, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by: XwingRob
They pronounced Zoro's name, "Zolo". Now, I know that Japanese language has that weird L and R thingy, but Zoro makes more sense when you consider that he is a swordsmaster.

They did this because the name "Zoro" is owned by Disney. They'd get violated in every orifice if they had retained his actual name.

OMG, I hope there are uncut DVDs...

The CEO of 4Kids - in an interview with Anime News Network - said that One Piece will be released uncut this winter.

Munsu
Tue, 07-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Humm I wonder were you heard that... from what I've read around, 4Kids said that they are not planning on doing the uncut version...

can you post a link were you read that?

this is the latest news i've read:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co...hp?t=15589&amp;start=0 (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15589&amp;start=0)

not that i care, I won't by them anyways... i pity the people that do buy them because they don't know better

***a minute of silence on their behalf***

ีงเศ
Tue, 07-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
4KIDS ARE FUCKING IDIOTS AND HAVE NO RESPECT FOR AUTHORS &amp; ORIGINAL WORKS.
ALSO THEY ARE FUCKING IDIOTS.
WTF POP GUNS? God I wish I could rape their entire families and then kill them all while the 4kids staff watches, and then "pull a Hinata" on the staff itself. (i.e slash and stomp for life)

BRILLIANT

But

I just watched an american episode involving the plucking of poisoned suction cups...

BRILLIANT!!

DDBen
Wed, 07-20-2005, 08:16 AM

Its impossible to copywrite a name. If I want to name my kid Donald trump then he can't do anything about it all that does is make me look like a idiot.

Yes, but your kid isn't a character on a show. You most definatly can copywrite names for the purposes of fictional characters.

For instance, you could run into problems if you made a cartoon and made a character named Gandalf as one of your main characters.

If said kid was on a show and wished to use his real name they couldn't stop him from doing so however. Zoro is only part of the name considering he has a first and a last name I would atleast believe that the name would in turn not violate any copyrights as long as for toys and merchandise they always used the full name. While on the show calling a character by there first name should never violate anything as long as the last name is mentioned as is the case with the wanted poster. This is the same reason that for the transformer toy line that while Hasbro can't access the name hound if they write it as Autobot Hound its completely acceptable. 4Kids choose on there own to change the names. Expecially when you consider something like changing Monkey D. Luffy to Monkey D. Loofy.

infiniteken
Sun, 08-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by: DDBen

If said kid was on a show and wished to use his real name they couldn't stop him from doing so however. Zoro is only part of the name considering he has a first and a last name I would atleast believe that the name would in turn not violate any copyrights as long as for toys and merchandise they always used the full name. While on the show calling a character by there first name should never violate anything as long as the last name is mentioned as is the case with the wanted poster. This is the same reason that for the transformer toy line that while Hasbro can't access the name hound if they write it as Autobot Hound its completely acceptable. 4Kids choose on there own to change the names. Expecially when you consider something like changing Monkey D. Luffy to Monkey D. Loofy.

You're forgetting Zorro, the masked swashbuckling Spanish crusader. It can be argued that his character is based on or inspired by Zorro, as they are both swordsmen who take on bad guys, and both wear bandannas around their head. True, if Zoro was a character more like Usopp or such, then there would be almost no problem. But if Sony (who supposedly owns the rights to Zorro) can prove a link that shows that Zoro is not an original creation, then 4kids would be in trouble. So, I assume to avoid all legal complications (and perhaps not to confuse the kids), they changed his name. You can use Autobot Hound if it is your own creation, if thats what you thought up yourself. If there are obvious ties to the original model or whatever it resembles, then it is still copyright infringement.

Bottom line: the way the law works is that if a potential consumer can be confused between the two, or if the action of the alleged infringer dilutes the original mark, that is, has a direct adverse economic effect on the registered trademark, then it is illegal.

vegita625
Sun, 08-21-2005, 11:06 PM
Moving away from the Zolo/Zoro argument, which while slightly annoying is no big deal really... here's one thing I don't understand...

HOW COULD THEY COMPLETELY SKIP OVER LITTLE GARDEN?!?! That's right, watching fox episodes here and there, and one week they're in Misty Peak, and in the next week's episode, Miss Sunday... right, not Miss All Sunday, it sounded cooler but whatever, gives them a compass that goes STRAIGHT to Alabasta and doesn't mention the Log Pose/Compass/whatever at all. Then instead of saying she doesn't know what Miss All Sunday wants when she goes on her knees to cry, it's "I'm sorry I didn't tell you... Igaram gave me a 2nd eternal compass to Alabasta" skipping Little Garden and going straight to Nami getting sick. Though frankly I'm amazed, they cut out all of Little Garden and Mr. 3/Miss Goldenweek (here and I was hoping for a "Miss Spring Break" change, but oh well), but looks like they will not look for a way to cut out Mr. 2... he's one of the worst influences of them all lol... then again, he also promotes frienship... constantly.
I wonder if Doctorine will say how she got sick at all lol "Who's be stupid enough not to where a shirt on a jungle island like that?" *Nami blushes*

Last thing, about Crocodile fight... who wants to make a bet that Luffy'll be able to hit him because he's sweating a lot? Or because Luffy DIDN'T happen to use up ALL the water in the last fight to rehydrate himself...

Phoenix20578
Wed, 08-24-2005, 01:14 PM
After the first US dub, i gave up complaining. I just don't watch it anymore. Makes my life easier not wanting to shoot 4kids with a nucular missile. But, if they want to skip an entire key point in an anime hey already slautered, they better be prepare for a lot of hate mail and bombs.

Deblas
Wed, 08-24-2005, 02:48 PM
I really don't care anymore. They're just kids after all, nobody listens to kids anyway so ignore them when they start to yell I'M ZOLO!! or I WANT JUICE CAUSE THE STRAWHATS DRINK JUICE ALL THE TIME!! or NAVY WITH SUPER SOAKERS AND POP GUNS ARE RAD!! I watch it at night on saturdays on CN (no way in hell I'm waking up early for a butchered anime on saturdays) though, just to see the differences and the horrible editing that they did.

Munsu
Fri, 08-26-2005, 01:30 PM
"White Pirates, Black Pirates? (2005-08-26 12:17:13)
This is very old news, but just came to our attention. In episode 5 of 4Kids localized version of One Piece, the skin of a black pirate was changed to a tan mulatto / white color."

Lol, this guys are fucking ridiculous..

Phoenix20578
Fri, 08-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Where's Al Sharpton when you need him.

Deblas
Fri, 08-26-2005, 04:54 PM
I heard about that. I think it was supposed to the fact that 4kids saw this as a racial stereotype that black people have big lips. SO YOU SEE. 4KIDS ARE NOT JUST KID FRIENDLY. THEY ARE AGAINST RACISM!!!

Ridiculous in every way.

Munsu
Sun, 09-11-2005, 04:06 PM
I doubt this site has been posted here yet, but it's a good guide to read on what has been cut, edited, and censored in the American version:

http://www.onepieceguide.tk/

Phoenix20578
Sun, 09-11-2005, 07:24 PM
LOL. I just saw the dub version of "We Are" from the site Bud provided. It is so much better than bad rap. The funny part is that Sanji and his lollipops were edited even in this unreleased opening.

Deblas
Sat, 03-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Okay, we all know. Dubbed One Piece sucks ass!! Wether it's a rap theme song (as well as replacing all the original music for some awful ones they come up with) , cork/water/hammer guns; cigarretes turned to cherry lollipops; lame dialouge; horrible voice castings; huge plot holes due to huge amount of scene editing; editing that doesn't make a lick of sense; and just plain butchering it all. It all adds up to one place. Dub One Piece! And what better way to show our feelings towards it by making videos about it?!

It's pretty old. It was before Naruto was even licensed. But still hilarious:
Deviantart flash (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/11707485/)

A fan dub making fun at the 4kids shistastic job. Kind of WTF but I laughed so hard at some parts:

**note: Spoilers for those who haven't watched episode 91 and above yet**
Dub Piece, Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPJkyHS6jWM)

Dub Piece, Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMzzX5jGjvg&search=One%20Piece%20Fan%20Dub)

Actually, the dub has been discussed before, even you participated in the thread. I'm merging the thread

GotWoot Moderator

Knives122
Sat, 03-18-2006, 07:43 PM
hahahahahahahahahaha

Anyone who posts a link like that and makes me laugh deserves a rep :p

The gigantci cloud of weed did it for me though, good stuff

Edit: and why did Sanji sound like a cross between Rocky and Arnold

Deblas
Sat, 03-18-2006, 07:57 PM
and why did Sanji sound like a cross between Rocky and Arnold

Because unfortunately. That's how he sounds in the dub. Actually, a lot of them are dead on. Vivi really does sound like she's stoned, and Nami has that Valley girl thing sometimes. :(

Carnage
Sun, 03-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Omg, that was one of the funniest videos I've ever seen. Mr. 2 was the funniest "Bitch slap, bitch slap......bitch slap". Amazing find Deblas! keep up the good work! :D

Throes
Sat, 03-25-2006, 11:19 PM
A fan dub making fun at the 4kids shistastic job. Kind of WTF but I laughed so hard at some parts:

**note: Spoilers for those who haven't watched episode 91 and above yet**
Dub Piece, Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPJkyHS6jWM)

Dub Piece, Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMzzX5jGjvg&search=One%20Piece%20Fan%20Dub)
I know the person who made those (not personally, through the internet). I've known him for about a year. Him and his friends are in the current process of making episode 2 of Dub Piece. No further info has been provided.

A link to http:www.onepieceguide.tk has been shared earlier, don't use that one, use the real url: http://opguide.bravehost.com. It's the same thing only it doesn't have that annoying .tk banner.

Deblas
Fri, 03-31-2006, 11:03 PM
This is just too good to not post. Even though CN has been having the Month of Miyazaki thing, over at Australia they are still showing the dub daily from what I recall. They're pretty far ahead already.

Anyway, this has got to be the worst edit that 4kids has ever done. I thought they were completely insane when they changed Laboon into an iceburg but this is just ridiculous. Behold, Luffy being impaled by Crocodile's hook!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/Rankyaku/bscap00006zs.jpg

DarthEnderX
Sat, 04-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Okay...um...I get that they have the hook going around him instead of through him, but...why the hell is he upside down?

rockmanj
Wed, 04-05-2006, 03:38 AM
there are actually some good links on wikipedia concerning these terrible dubs. all you have to do is search for 4kids entertainment, or better yet one piece cartoons.

kAi
Wed, 04-05-2006, 04:12 AM
This is terrible, I was watching cable at my friends house as everyone was sleeping, and I was flicking through the channels and came across a couple of episodes of One Piece. It was upto the episode where Hawk Eyes V Zoro.

This was fucking terrible, I was like this has ruined One Piece, the voice actors are shit, things are cut out the ass, I was quite pissed off, considering I've only just started watching the OP anime.

Terrible.

Carnage
Wed, 04-05-2006, 06:10 AM
This is terrible, I was watching cable at my friends house as everyone was sleeping, and I was flicking through the channels and came across a couple of episodes of One Piece. It was upto the episode where Hawk Eyes V Zoro.

This was fucking terrible, I was like this has ruined One Piece, the voice actors are shit, things are cut out the ass, I was quite pissed off, considering I've only just started watching the OP anime.

Terrible.

Terrible doesnt even define the situation. Once dubbed, OP isnt even the same anime anymore. They sometimes even make random edits.