PDA

View Full Version : anime v.s. manga poll

Wed, 04-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Explain your reasonings and give examples

I think they cannot because it's all about the storyline and since anime follows manga storyline... unless anime before manga which I am not that familiar with

NM
Wed, 04-20-2005, 09:27 PM
I voted no because an anime is based upon the manga. Without the manga, there would be no anime. But there are some cases where animes don't have a manga and are just as good (Cowboy Bebop, Gundam Seed/Destiny, etc.). And besides, sometimes the anime tends to edit out details that was seen in the manga. And then theres the fillers...

2:25
Wed, 04-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I think it's possible.
For example, Air was pretty good and it was based on a dating sim.
Or was there a manga about it?

kAi
Wed, 04-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Yeah, anime can be good without a good manga, take a look at what NM said.

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Gundam Seed/Destiny.

Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are in my favourite anime category.
Also I'm really enjoying GS/D also.

Y
Wed, 04-20-2005, 10:25 PM
I really hate the fact that anime is stereotyped into being nothing more than an adaptation of the manga. Two of the three greatest animated series I've ever watched weren't based on comics.

Turkish-S
Thu, 04-21-2005, 12:44 AM
i don't read manga. so i can do without manga.

Y
Thu, 04-21-2005, 12:51 AM
That really has nothing to do with this poll at all. It was asking whether the anime could be built without the foundation of the manga, not which is better or which you'd rather have.

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 04-21-2005, 02:59 AM
Of course, Bubblegum Crisis is one of my favourite ever OVAs and had a pretty good series as well. There is a manga/comic by an American artist, but that was based on the characters (not the story) and setting of the original 80s OVA...

Turkish-S
Thu, 04-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by: Y The Alien
That really has nothing to do with this poll at all. It was asking whether the anime could be built without the foundation of the manga, not which is better or which you'd rather have.

ow then i got it wrong i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif then i don't know cuzz i don't know whitch anime has a manga.

BravoSector
Thu, 04-21-2005, 04:27 PM
It definately can. Just look at Ah my goddess. The manga is really boring and random (in my opinion, don't flame me), but the anime is pretty good. The only thing is that it deters from the manga by a lot. So the anime more or less is based on the major parts of the manga.

kAi
Thu, 04-21-2005, 10:13 PM
It still follows the manga storyline though.

TwisT
Fri, 04-22-2005, 06:55 AM
Of course it can.. But usally the best animes have ha manga it's based on, with a few exeptions as ppl have mentioned above.. So in other words, anime tend to be better and bigger if there is a manga..

Hakeem_21
Fri, 04-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Are you guys sure that CB and SC isnt based on a manga cause i have seen manga version of them or were the manga made after the animes?

I voted no cause most animes need a good manga behind them or else they will suck if they are made by some animator.

?igma
Fri, 04-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Angel Sanctuary for teh win !! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif (L)

The anime (OVA) was cool too though i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif , but I'd go for the manga anytime ^^

GuardianShado
Sat, 04-23-2005, 08:01 PM
i'd say yes. look at witch hunter robin.

kAi
Sun, 04-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by: Hakeem_21
Are you guys sure that CB and SC isnt based on a manga cause i have seen manga version of them or were the manga made after the animes?

I voted no cause most animes need a good manga behind them or else they will suck if they are made by some animator.

They're made after the Anime.

Munsu
Sun, 04-24-2005, 03:23 AM
I still find this thread very rediculous... it's like asking "Is a movie only good when it's based off a book, novel etc..."

A good story IS a good story in whatever medium it is portrayed... they are not dependent of each other....

jing
Sun, 04-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by: Budweineken
I still find this thread very rediculous... it's like asking "Is a movie only good when it's based off a book, novel etc..."

A good story IS a good story in whatever medium it is portrayed... they are not dependent of each other....

Correct to the max. Thread close?

SK
Sun, 04-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by: Budweineken

end of line.

Sun, 04-24-2005, 10:10 PM
ok i guess this was kinda pointless...

but i still don't think you can make a good anime out of a shitty manga

end of story

Y
Sun, 04-24-2005, 10:12 PM
No, it isn't the end of the story. Shitty answer.

Munsu
well what you are stating now is fairly different from what you alluded on your opening post...

Mut
What the hell, why did you mark that as the answer?

lilphatboi88
Sun, 04-24-2005, 11:32 PM
Does YuYu Hausho have a manga? If not, then that was a good anime. Anyways, anyone have any idea as to how i can somehow download YuYu Hakusho using bittorrent?

Sun, 04-24-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by: lilphatboi88
Does YuYu Hausho have a manga? If not, then that was a good anime. Anyways, anyone have any idea as to how i can somehow download YuYu Hakusho using bittorrent?

no idea how you can download...

but yes it did have a manga

fine you guys proved to me anime can be good without manga... but can you guys give me some cases where the manga was really shit ... then some anime producers still decided to put it on animation and did a good job?

don't flame

pls don't flame

Death BOO Z
Mon, 04-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Since they only base animes on succesful mangas, it's kind of a natrual selection process. only the mangas with lots of readers (by extencion, good mangas) get to have an anime based on them.

Y
Mon, 04-25-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by: 010577
proved to me anime can be good without manga... but can you guys give me some cases where the manga was really shit ... then some anime producers still decided to put it on animation and did a good job?

Trigun.

Manga: Extremely unintelligible art and bad pacing.

Anime: Classic.